ORAL HEALTH EXAMINATION
At Hazelwood Dental our comprehensive oral health examination includes analysis of your teeth, gums & oral tissues.
Our aim is to help you have a happy smile & prevent any dental problems from returning
Your dental examination is an ideal opportunity to speak to us about any questions you may have regarding your dental health.
Do I need a checkup?
We recommend a dental examination every six months so that any problems can be identified & treated at an early stage.
Our aim is to work with you to keep your mouth as healthy as possible.
What should I tell the dentist during the first visit?
Your Overall Health:
Tell your dentist about any medical conditions or medications you may be taking. These include prescribed & over the counter medications.
Your Dental Health:
If you have any concerns about your teeth or their appearance. Anything you wish to discuss about your previous dental history.
Your Dental Anxiety:
Many people have fears of dental treatment that go back to childhood. Helping people who thought that they could never achieve dental care again is one of the most rewarding aspects of our work at Hazelwood Dental.
What should I expect at an oral health examination?
At each examination
- Re check your general health history by updating our medical questionnaire in order to advise if this is likely to impact on your oral health or dental treatment.
- Discuss with you any concerns you have about your teeth or the appearance of your teeth.
- Check your jaw joints for any signs of joint disease that may affect your ability to eat or chew or which may simply be causing you discomfort.
- Carry out an oral cancer screening inside your mouth including your throat.
- Examine the position and bite of your teeth to check for any irregularities.
- Check your gums for any signs of gum disease.
- Check for any areas you may be missing when you are cleaning your teeth so that we can help you to maintain your oral hygiene.
- Check your teeth for signs of tooth decay, leakage or fractures.
- Check your teeth for signs of wear, erosion or cracks.
- Check your fillings, crowns or bridges for signs of leakage, cracks, and tooth decay.
- Check any removable Dentures for fit and comfort.
In addition we may take x-rays in order to check
1. The presence of dental decay in areas which are difficult to see by visual inspection.
2. The hidden roots of teeth we suspect may have problems deep in the bone.
- The levels of bone supporting the teeth to assess gum disease.
- For the position of teeth not yet erupted into the mouth, including wisdom teeth.
- For any other examination that might reveal hidden issues.
After our thorough detailed examination process, we will discuss our findings and advise
- Any conditions we find that require treatment or may benefit you.
- The range of treatment options available.
- The estimated costs of the treatment.
- Time required and schedule for performing the treatment.
- Actions you will need to take to look after your teeth – this may involve changing aspects of your tooth cleaning and diet.
Hazelwood Dental Practice,
Tel: 021 4866583
Fax: 021 4866583
Mon: 8.30am - 7.30pm
Tues: 8.00am -7.30pm
Wed & Thu: 8.00am - 6pm
Fri: 8.30am -6pm
Sat: By appointment only
Our early mornings from 8am and late evenings to 7.30pm are by appointment only. This is to accommodate our patients with busy schedules.